The Military College of South Carolina Dare to Lead

Info Academics Admissions Alumni Cadet Life Graduate College Athletics Connect Giving
Close this window

Giving to The Citadel

  • The Citadel Foundation
  • Blueprint
  • The Citadel Brigadier Foundation

Citadel News Service

Office of Public Affairs

FOR RELEASE
April 19, 1999

Seraph Wreath-Laying Ceremony Rescheduled

          On Wednesday, April 21 at 10:00 a.m. British Naval Captain Tim Barton along with five of his officers will participate in a wreath-laying ceremony at the Seraph Memorial on The Citadel campus.

          The Seraph Memorial, located between Mark Clark Hall and Jenkins Hall, is the only shore installation in America permitted to fly the Royal Navy ensign. The monument was erected by Citadel alumni in 1963 to pay tribute to the United States and British alliance during World War II.

          The Seraph, a World War II British submarine, briefly became an American ship when it was sent to rescue French General Henri H. Giraud from under the nose of the German enemies. General Giraud, who disliked the British, refused to leave French soil on a British vessel, so the British submarine fell under American command for the mission.

          The Seraph’s ties to the United States, though, did not begin with the rescue of General Giraud. In 1942, she was used to transport General Mark W. Clark (president of The Citadel from 1954-1965) on a secret intelligence mission to North Africa prior to Allied landings there. And later, continuing her illustrious association with Americans, she acted as the guiding vessel for General George S. Patton’s troops in the Allied invasion of Sicily.

          The Seraph Memorial is composed of the Seraph’s periscope and includes its fore hatch, plane wheels, and other items that the British government gave to The Citadel.

-End-