NCAA Mission Statement
Mission Statement of NCAA*
The NCAA's core ideology consists of two notions: core purpose - the organization's reason for being - and core values - essential and enduring principles that guide an organization.
Our purpose is to govern competition in a fair, safe, equitable and sportsmanlike manner, and to integrate intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount.
The Association - through its member institutions, conferences and national office staff - shares a belief in and commitment to:
· The collegiate model of athletics in which students participate as an avocation, balancing their academic, social and athletics experiences.
· The highest levels of integrity and sportsmanship.
· The pursuit of excellence in both academics and athletics.
· The supporting role that intercollegiate athletics plays in the higher education mission and in enhancing the sense of community and strengthening the identity of member institutions.
· An inclusive culture that fosters equitable participation for student-athletes and career opportunities for coaches and administrators from diverse backgrounds.
· Respect for institutional autonomy and philosophical differences.
· Presidential leadership of intercollegiate athletics at the campus, conference and national levels.
*According to www.ncaa.org