The Military College of South Carolina Dare to Lead

Info Academics Admissions Alumni Cadet Life Graduate College Athletics Connect Giving
Close this window

Giving to The Citadel

  • The Citadel Foundation
  • Blueprint
  • The Citadel Brigadier Foundation

Virtual Tour - Monuments

The Seraph Monument

The Seraph MonumentThe Seraph Monument is a memorial consisting of relics from H.M.S. Seraph, including the periscope and a forward torpedo loading hatch. Both the U.S. and British flags fly from the structure to symbolize that this British Royal Navy submarine was placed under the command of an American Naval officer for a special mission during World War II. It is the only shore installation in the U.S. permitted to fly the Royal Navy Ensign.

Seraph became known as "the special missions submarine" because of its involvement in the most famous seaborne covert missions in the European Theater of World War II. It was the vessel that took then Major General Mark Clark and several others to Algeria in October of 1942 on a successful secret mission to win support of the Vichy French forces prior to the Allied landings in North Africa. Days later Seraph was dispatched to southern France to rescue General Henri Giraud, a Vichy officer who wished to cooperate with the allies; because he would only deal with the Americans, Seraph's British markings were painted over, she flew a U.S. flag and temporarily became the U.S.S. Seraph under the command of a U.S. Navy Captain. Seraph later acted as a beacon ship for General George Patton's forces in the invasion of Sicily as well as for the D-Day landings in Normandy; she also transported several commando units on clandestine missions in southern Europe. Late in the war she was converted to a high speed anti-submarine warfare training platform and remained in service with the Royal Navy until 1962.

The HMS Seraph played a major role in Operation Mincemeat, one of the most successful deception operations ever mounted in warfare. The elaborate ruse involving the planting of fake documents on a body set adrift off Spain convinced Hitler's High Command that the next allied landings would be at Sardinia when the real target was Sicily. Operation Mincemeat is the subject of several books and a movie titled The Man who Never Was.

This monument is dedicated to Anglo-American cooperation during WWII.


The Tau Beta Pi Monument

The Tau Beta Pi MonumentThe Tau Beta Pi Monument or "Bent", is a bronze replica of the emblem of the National Engineering Honor Society.

Its supporting structure is the frustum of a pyramid of blue-gray granite, resembling in color the traditional cadet uniform.

Located between the Daniel Library and the Summerall Chapel, the "Bent" commemorates the Tau Beta Pi ideals of distinguished scholarship and exemplary character.

 

 

 

 

 

 


The Bulldog Monument

The Bulldog MonumentThe Bulldog Monument is a memorial dedicated to Maj. Sam M. Savas, Jr., Class of 1951, who died in Vietnam in October 1965. He also served as a Citadel tactical officer from 1962 to 1965.

As a cadet and while in service to The Citadel, he so inspired Citadel cadets toward dedication to their alma mater that upon his death, cadet members of the Society of American Engineers erected the monument in his honor (it was unveiled in 1966).

The monument also contains a bronze plaque in memory of his son, Lt. Sam M. Savas, III, a naval aviator and member of the Class of 1979, who died in service to his country in October 1985.

The Bulldog Monument is made from brass belt buckles, waist plates and breast plates collected from cadets. It is located between the McAlister Field House and the Murray Barracks.

 


The Star of the West Monument

The Star of the WestThe Star of the West Monument is dedicated to the memory of the cadets who fired on the Star of the West in 1861 and to all Citadel graduates who have died in defense of their country.

The granite monument was raised in the spring of 1961, 100 years after Citadel cadets fired on the federal supply ship from the northern point of Morris Island. A bronze plaque depicts the action. Cadets were chosen to man the 24-pound siege guns because they were the best-trained men in Charleston to fire the weapons.

Inscribed on the monument are the names of those cadets who have won the Star of the West Medal for individual drill competition. The monument is located between Bond Hall and the central flagpole.

Names and dates of Star of the West winners

  • 1886 - J.T. Coleman
  • 1887 - W.C. Davis
  • 1888 - J.R. Rutledge
  • 1889 - P.K. McCully
  • 1890 - W.Z. McGhee
  • 1891 - A.G. Ethridge
  • 1892 - J.R. Verdier
  • 1893 - A.E. Legare
  • 1894 - Abram Levy
  • 1895 - J.D. Dial
  • 1896 - J.M. Josey
  • 1897 - J.B. Salley
  • 1898 - D.C. Pate
  • 1899 - L.B. Steele
  • 1900 - A.H. Cross
  • 1901 - T.C. Marshall
  • 1902 - A.E. Hutchinson
  • 1903 - J.F. O'Mara
  • 1904 - E.C. Register
  • 1905 - W.W. Dick
  • 1906 - W.W. Benson
  • 1907 - A.T. Corcoran
  • 1908 - E.D. Smith
  • 1909 - D.W. Gaston
  • 1910 - F.Y. Legare
  • 1911 - Thomas Richardson
  • 1912 - J.M. Arthur
  • 1913 - J.H. Holmes
  • 1914 - James Anderson
  • 1915 - J.G.M. Nichols
  • 1916 - F.B. Rogers
  • 1917 - H.L. Cunningham
  • 1918 - T.W. Williamson
  • 1919 - J.L. Whitten
  • 1920 - E.A. Pollock
  • 1921 - J.D. Frost
  • 1922 - E.T. Moore
  • 1923 - Walter Allan
  • 1924 - J.T. Mackey
  • 1925 - C.H. Rosson
  • 1926 - F.G. Burnett
  • 1927 - E.B. Fishburne
  • 1928 - W.M. Roberts
  • 1929 - R.K. Walker
  • 1930 - J.W. Blevins
  • 1931 - R.A. Zobel
  • 1932 - R.H. Ammerman
  • 1933 - A.B. Sundin
  • 1934 - A.L. Leonard
  • 1935 - S.P. Browne
  • 1936 - S.P. Browne
  • 1937 - J.R. Lyons
  • 1938 - W.H. McIntyre
  • 1939 - F.S. Conaty
  • 1940 - N.T. Jenkins
  • 1941 - W.T. Bethea
  • 1942 - C.J. West
  • 1943 - L.C. Emerson
  • 1944 - T.C. Williams
  • 1945 - R.K. Willms
  • 1946 - G.W. Beale
  • 1947 - S.D. Falkenbury
  • 1948 - J.P. Sullivan
  • 1949 - H.O. Stoddard
  • 1950 - C.J. Easler
  • 1951 - L.O. Allen
  • 1952 - S.C. Mills
  • 1953 - J.R. Patterson
  • 1954 - R.W. Lockridge
  • 1955 - P.D. Warren
  • 1956 - G.F. Marschalk
  • 1957 - J.B. Taylor
  • 1958 - B.L. Spivey
  • 1959 - Iredell Jones
  • 1960 - R.L. Lupton
  • 1961 - W.B. Sansom
  • 1962 - B.J. Bohm
  • 1963 - G.R. Wilson
  • 1964 - R.C. Johnson
  • 1965 - R.W. Bristol
  • 1966 - J.E. Morgan
  • 1967 - V.P. Hambright, III
  • 1968 - V.P. Hambright, III
  • 1969 - W.D. Archer
  • 1970 - J.E. Onuschak
  • 1971 - D.J. O'Neal
  • 1972 - A.D. Griffin
  • 1973 - W.F. Clewe, III
  • 1974 - W.F. Clewe, III
  • 1975 - C.H. Boardman, IV
  • 1976 - C.H. Boardman, IV
  • 1977 - T.C. Slider
  • 1978 - R.A. Risher
  • 1979 - D.C. Seaman
  • 1980 - V.B. Edmonds
  • 1981 - B.L. Morgan
  • 1982 - T.E. Henson, Jr.
  • 1983 - Herman W. Stehmeier
  • 1984 - B.T. Smith, III
  • 1985 - C.A. Bell
  • 1986 - R.M. Williams, II
  • 1987 - M.S. Crippen
  • 1988 - T.C. Alaska
  • 1989 - S.A. Hathaway
  • 1990 - R.S. Ring
  • 1991 - W.C. Bentley
  • 1992 - O.K. Diano
  • 1993 - D.E. Corry
  • 1994 - J.R. Goodman
  • 1995 - B.S. Sewell
  • 1996 - J.C. Howard, III
  • 1997 - J.D. Fralick
  • 1998 - M.T. Dye
  • 1999 - Adam Greenfield
  • 2000 - Joseph Cleveland
  • 2001 - Marcus J. Walton
  • 2002 - Joseph St. Michael Hamilton
  • 2003 - Cameron Yaste
  • 2004 - Joseph St. Michael Hamilton
  • 2005 - Anthony L. Baiocco
  • 2006 - David Alger
  • 2007 - Marqus Javon Ross
  • 2008 - Marcus Aurelius Ashby
  • 2009 - Marqus Javon Ross
  • 2010 - Michael Steinfield
  • 2011 - Cadet Michael Czyrnick
  • 2012 - Cadet Michael Czyrnick

General Clark's Grave

General Mark Clark's GraveBy his choice, and with the approval of the Board of Visitors and the General Assembly of South Carolina, General Mark W. Clark was buried on The Citadel campus. He was the second man to serve as President Emeritus of The Citadel and the only person to be buried on campus. The grave site General Clark selected is between Mark Clark Hall and Summerall Chapel, near the Carillon Tower.

General Clark was one of the top five American military commanders of World War II. (The other four were Dwight Eisenhower, George Patton, Douglas MacArthur and Omar Bradley.) Nicknamed the "American eagle" by Winston Churchill, Clark at the age of 46 was the youngest three-star general. In January 1943, he was designated commander of the Fifth Army and as such planned the successful amphibious invasion of Italy. He led the first army in history to fight all the way up the Italian boot from toe to top, a campaign that took 20 months and 30,000 Allied casualities.

The force's ground, sea and air invasion of Salerno in September 1943 saw some of the fiercest fighting in the war. In June 1944 after taking Naples, the Fifth captured Rome- the first Axis to be liberated. Several months later, Clark was placed in command of the 15th Army Group. After a successful offensive launched by his men from mountain positions south of Bologna, Clark accepted the first large-scale surrender of any German field command in Europe.

While serving simultaneously as commander in chief, Far East Command; commander in chief, United Nations Command; commanding general, United States Army forces, Far East; and governor of the Ryukyu Islands, Clark signed the Korean Armistice in 1953.


Summerall Field

Summerall FieldOn the parade ground, there are monuments dedicated to each of the military services. They are a Marine Landing Craft (LVT-H-6); an Army Sherman Tank (M4A3) and an Army Missile (Corporal); an Air Force Jet (F4-C Phantom II); and an AH-1 Cobra Helicopter and a Navy Anchor from the U.S.S. Coral Sea. A United States Coast Guard Bell serves as a monument to Citadel graduates who have lost their lives upon the sea.

Along the Avenue of Remembrance and on Summerall Field, memorial trees honor the memory of Citadel graduates killed in action. A small plaque by each tree gives the name of each graduate so honored.

Summerall Field carries the name of the 10th president of The Citadel, General Charles Pelot Summerall, whose military service spanned from the Spanish American War, Philippine Insurrection, and Boxer Rebellion through victorious, but bloody, battles of World War I. Summerall achieved early fame in the assault on Peking in 1900. He was then a young Army lieutenant. Equipped with a stick of chalk with which to mark his target, Summerall took his field guns through heavy fire to positions that permitted his platoon cannon to blast open the gates at point-blank range of the successive walls of the Imperial and Forbidden cities of China.

Summerall's effective use of artillery made him the most original tactician in France during World War I. The famous First Division, under Summerall's command, produced artillery results precedent in American history. As the first Southerner to wear the four stars of a general, he capped a colorful military career as chief of staff of the Army. General Summerall died in 1955. His medals and dress sword are on display in Summerall Chapel.

anchor

Navy Anchor - USS Coral Sea

 

f4-c jet

Air Force Jet (F4-C Phantom II)

 

bell

U.S. Coast Guard Bell

 

ah-1 chopper

AH-1 Cobra Helicopter

 

tank

Army Sherman Tank (M4A3)

 

missile

Army Missile (Redstone)

 

lvt-h-6 craft

Marine Landing Craft (LVT-H-6)

 

The Kovats Memorial

The Kovats MemorialLocated at the west entrance to the parking lot in the faculty housing area behind Bond Hall (formerly Kovats Field) is a memorial to Colonel Michael Kovats de Fabricy, a nobleman and military leader killed in Charleston during the Revolutionary War. A native of Hungary he served in his countries army as well as those of Austria and Prussia; while serving with the French army he learned of the American Revolution and volunteered his services to the American Ambassador to France, Benjamin Franklin. He was commissioned a Colonel-Commander in the Continental Army and placed in charge of the Lancers in the Legion organized by Count Casimir Pulaski; Kovats recruited, trained and lead what became the first U.S. Cavalry unit. He was killed on May 11, 1779 while leading an assault on British forces that were laying siege to Charleston and was reportedly buried a short distance from The Citadel campus.

The memorial plaque was presented to the school by the American Hungarian Federation on May 27, 1955 and the area was dedicated as Kovats Field in November, 1959.