Citadel’s “Spike” Named to Capital One Mascot Challenge
Ready? Set? VOTE FOR SPIKE (and keep voting!)*
MCLEAN, Va. – Spike, The Citadel’s longtime mascot, has been chosen as one of only 16 in the country and the lone FCS representative in the 2014 Capital One Mascot Challenge. Spike is also the first Southern Conference mascot to compete in the challenge.
Driven exclusively by fan voting, the last mascot standing will be named the Capital One National Mascot of the Year at the conclusion of college football season. This year’s team represents eight college conferences and 14 different states, including three defending Capital One Mascot Challenge champions.
This year’s voting structure provides fans three ways to catapult their mascot to victory. By clicking “vote now,” fans earn one (1) point for their mascot. To go even further in expressing their enthusiasm, fans can complete weekly 50-point and/or 100-point challenges by posting clever entries on Twitter or Facebook using their mascot’s unique hashtag. Voting opens Monday, August 25, 2014 at 12:00AM EDT and will continue weekly through Sunday, December 7, 2014. Fans can visit www.CapitalOneMascots.com for all voting information as well as engage with the mascots and other fans at www.Facebook.com/CapitalOne and www.Twitter.com/CapitalOne.
Spike can be seen roaming the sidelines at the Bulldogs’ football opener on Aug. 30 at Johnson Hagood Stadium in a 6 p.m. kickoff against Coastal Carolina. Tickets can be purchased by calling 843-953-DOGS or by going online at the all new www.citadelsports.com.
Capital One has once again partnered with college football expert prognosticator Phil Steele (www.PhilSteele.com) to determine which mascots have the best chance to win the competition. Throughout the Mascot Challenge, he will reveal his weekly mascot power rankings and odds to win the overall competition to further spur the debate among the mascot fan bases.
The Capital One National Mascot of the Year will be crowned at the end of the college football season. The winning school will be awarded a $20,000 scholarship toward its mascot program. Each participating Capital One All-America mascot’s school will also receive $5,000 for their respective mascot program.
The 2014 Capital One Mascot Challenge participants include:
- Aubie of Auburn University
- Benny Beaver of Oregon State University
- Big Red of University of Arkansas - Rookie
- Big Red of Western Kentucky University
- Brutus Buckeye of Ohio State University
- Buster Bronco of Boise State University
- Buzz of Georgia Tech - 2014 Write-In Winner
- Cocky of University of South Carolina - 2003 Winner
- Cy of Iowa State University - 2008 Winner
- Goldy Gopher of University of Minnesota
- Joe Bruin of UCLA
- Otto the Orange of Syracuse University
- Sparty of Michigan State University
- Spike of The Citadel - Rookie
- Wilma T. Wildcat of The University of Arizona
- Zippy of The University of Akron - 2007 Winner
*Voting begins Monday, Aug. 25. Check back here for a direct link to vote and vote as many times as you can!