Virtual Tour - Main Buildings
Bond Hall, named for Colonel O.J. Bond, an 1886 graduate and the ninth president of The Citadel, is the main academic and administrative building. Colonel Bond served as president from 1908-1931 and was an avid and prolific historian of The Citadel, penning a detailed account of the college's early years. One of the first buildings constructed when the college moved from Marion Square, Bond Hall was completed in its present form in 1939. The two wings were first completed in 1922 when the Greater Citadel was built, and since that time numerous additions have taken place. The building most recently underwent a $0.65 million, two-year renovation and was reopened during the summer of 1993. Bond Hall houses the School of Business Administration and information technology services.
Byrd Hall, the chemistry-geology building, is named for Colonel R.M. Byrd, Citadel 1923, who served as head of the Chemistry Department from 1945 to 1956 and as academic dean from 1956 to 1966. It houses classrooms, offices, laboratories, service areas for professors, and a library. It also contains a 175-seat auditorium named in honor of Colonel Samuel A. Wideman, Citadel 1929, who was head of the Chemistry Department from 1956 to 1968.
Capers Hall is named in honor of two brothers, Brigadier General Ellison Capers, C.S.A., Citadel 1857, and Major Francis W. Capers, Superintendent of The Citadel from 1852-1859. Brigadier General Ellison became one of the four alumni who attained the rank of general during the Civil War. In addition, he was an Episcopal bishop and chancellor of the University of the South in Tennessee. The building houses classrooms, offices and other areas for English, Computer Science, Mathematics, History, Modern Languages, Political Science, Education, and Psychology. The Rosemary Breckinridge Galloway Writing Center is housed on the first floor of Capers Hall. The south wing of Capers Hall was dedicated to the memory of Mr. Rodney Williams at the request of his wife.
The Citadel Archives and Museum
The Archives and Museum and the office of its Director are located on the third floor of the Daniel Library building. The Archives contains over three hundred collections which pertain to The Citadel or have military significance. The Museum features the history of The Citadel from 1842 to the present. The entrance to the Museum is on the south side of the building.
Further details are available at the Archives and Museum web site.
Coward Hall, otherwise known at the Mess Hall, seats the entire Corps for three family-style meals a day. Opened in 1991, it is named for Colonel Asbury Coward, C.S.A., The Citadel 1854. It is located on the Ashley River behind Padgett-Thomas Barracks. Additional dining rooms plus rehearsal rooms for the Band, Bagpipes and Chorale are located on the second floor.
The Daniel Library
The Daniel Library was constructed in 1960 and is named in honor of the late Charles E. Daniel, Citadel 1918, and the late R. Hugh Daniel, Citadel 1929; distinguished Citadel men who were lifelong benefactors of the college. The men established the Daniel International Corporation - at one time the third largest construction company in the world. The main library collection contains more than 1,128,798 books, bound periodicals, and government documents and pamphlets. Facilities include a 12,000 volume reference collection, 449,390 microfilm and microfilm readers. Eight Citadel murals and portraits of The Citadel's superintendents, presidents (a term used after 1922), and distinguished alumni are featured on the interior walls.
The Archives and Museum and the office of its Director are located on the third floor of the building. The Archives contains over three hundred collections which pertain to The Citadel or have military significance. The Museum features the history of The Citadel from 1842 to the present. The entrance to the Museum is on the south side of the building.
Deas Hall is the physical education building completed in the summer of 1976. It was named for Colonel A. 'Happy' Deas, Jr., Citadel 1938. The two-story structure is approximately 88,000 square feet and houses an 8-lane, 25 meter swimming pool, six handball courts, three classrooms, a development library, a physiology laboratory, a multi-purpose room, offices for the Department of Health and Physical Education, showers and a locker for each member of the Corps.
Duckett Hall is named for the late Major General James W. Duckett, Citadel 1932, President of The Citadel from 1970-1974. Major General Duckett devoted his career to educating The Citadel cadet. Upon his retirement, he held eleven faculty and administrative posts. This facility provides modern classrooms, laboratories, and offices for the Biology Department. The building is three stories high, centrally air conditioned, with a greenhouse and an animal house on the roof. Architecturally, the building follows the same Spanish-Moorish style as do most of the other buildings on campus.
Grimsley Hall replaced Alumni Hall in 1991. The building is named in honor of Major General James A. Grimsley, Jr., the 16th president of The Citadel and 1942 graduate of The Citadel. The building is situated facing the north side of Summerall Field. Grimsley Hall houses both the Physics and Electrical Engineering Departments, Copeland Auditorium, computer room, and extensive laboratories. The academic building provides a modern and complete educational environment among the best available in the Southeast. Copeland Auditorium is a 140-seat facility with computer installations at each seat and is acoustically designed for maximum audio presentations.
The auditorium was made possible by Mrs. Paola Groverman in memory of her father, D. Graham Copeland, a 1903 alumnus who is credited with building a very difficult portion of the Tamiami Trail - the highway that traverses the state of Florida. Copeland was resident manager of all properties in Florida for the tycoon Barron G. Collier who amassed more than a million acres of land and was the largest landowner in that state.
Jenkins Hall, situated next to Thompson Hall, is named for Brigadier General Micah Jenkins, C.S.A., Citadel 1854, who founded King's Mountain Military School. One of General Robert E. Lee's favorite officers, Brigadier General Jenkins was among four graduates who attained rank of general during the Civil War. Jenkins Hall houses the Departments of Aerospace Studies, Military Science, and Naval Science; Air Force, Army, Marine and Navy ROTC offices; the Commandant's Office; an auditorium, classrooms and supply rooms. In addition, the Cadet Corps' arms room is in Jenkins Hall.
LeTellier Hall was constructed in 1937. It was named for Colonel Louis Shepherd LeTellier, who became acting president of The Citadel after General Charles P. Summerall retired in 1953. Colonel Letellier held the office of president until he was replaced by General Mark Clark. He was the longtime head of the Civil Engineering Department. In this building are located all the offices, classrooms, and laboratories of the Civil Engineering Department. The latest equipment and one of the largest hydraulic testing machines in the South have been installed in the laboratories. LeTellier Hall also has an excellent engineering library for supplementary study.
Mark Clark Hall
Mark Clark Hall, a three story building with 55,000 square feet of floor space, houses the Gift Shop, reception room, barber shop, game room, and post office. It also features a billiard room, and a large auditorium. The offices of the Director of Cadet Activities, and the Student Publications Center are located on the second floor. The third floor of the building has a Catholic Chapel, the office of the Episcopal chaplain, the Honor Court, and quarters for distinguished guests of The Citadel. Mark Clark Hall was named after past president General Mark W. Clark and was added to The Citadel campus in 1957.
The Mary Bennett Murray Memorial Infirmary
The Mary Bennett Murray Memorial Infirmary, erected with funds donated by a friend of The Citadel, was presented to the college in 1923. The building now contains a modern cadet clinic and a 30 bed in-patient facility, complete with laboratory, pharmacy, and X-Ray. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, during the school year, the Infirmary provides sick-call (urgent-care) services, women's clinic, sports medicine and orthopedic clinics, and immunizations. The Infirmary staff includes a full-time physician, a part-time orthopedic surgeon, a nurse practitioner, and seven full-time nurses.
Summerall Chapel was erected during 1936-1937. Cruciform in design, the Chapel is a shrine of religion, of patriotism, and of remembrance. From the air the red clay tile roof forms a cross. It was designed in the spirit of 14th century Gothic. The furniture throughout is plain-sawed Appalachian Mountain white oak stained cathedral brown. The ceiling and timbering are pine. The lighting fixtures are handcrafted wrought iron throughout. Hanging from the walls are flags from the 50 states and the territories.
Nondenominationality. Since it is entirely nonsectarian, Summerall Chapel can belong to no particular denomination.
Class Windows. After the completion of the Chapel, each of the classes (up through the Class of 1944) had the opportunity to purchase a window as a lasting memorial to its members. The class windows show the life of Christ in superb stained glass with each window depicting some important event in His life. The great chancel window, located directly behind the altar, was dedicated in 1942 as a memorial to all Citadel graduates who gave their lives in their country's cause. It portrays exemplars and symbols of courage, sacrifice, religion, truth, duty, loyalty, patriotism, faith, charity, prayer, adoration, praise, and immortality.
Medallions. The facade and transept windows are made up of a number of units or "medallions," provided by families or friends of the men whom they commemorate. Only those who have been Citadel cadets and a few designated faculty and staff are so honored. The design of each of these medallions represents symbolically the person whom it commemorates. In keeping with the democratic spirit of the institution, all medallions are identical in size and in fineness of design.
Inscription. The inscription across the front of Summerall Chapel reading, "Remember Now Thy Creator in the Days of Thy Youth," summarizes the spiritual atmosphere at The Citadel.
Chaplain to the Corps. The office of the Chaplain to the Corps is located in the rear of the chapel.
View the Summerall Chapel's web site.
Thompson Hall, named for Hugh S. Thompson, Citadel 1856, twice Governor of South Carolina, Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, and the Commissioner of the U.S. Civil Service, was constructed in 1938. The building is the home of academic support and enrichment services, as well as the math and computer science department.