Post-Grad Careers & Opportunities
The Citadel’s Literacy Education programs prepare graduates for careers as literacy coaches, program developers and supervisors, resource specialists, literacy tutors, consultants, administrators, classroom and community teachers, and university and college instructors. Many of our graduates work in leadership positions where they create and transform literacy programs and curricula for learners of all ages.
Upon receiving the Graduate Certificate in Literacy Education and meeting all state requirements, you will be eligible for South Carolina licensure as a Literacy Teacher. After successful completion of the M.Ed. in Literacy Education and five years of classroom teaching, you will be eligible for South Carolina licensure as a Literacy Coach. In a recent report, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) called attention to the growing demand for reading specialists and literacy coaches; they project an employment increase of 13% from 2012 to 2022. As a literacy coach, you might:
- Make recommendations to school and district administrators for implementing literacy programs and curricula
- Provide specialized intervention services to students who struggle with reading and writing
- Serve as a mentor to support colleagues in improving the quality of literacy instruction for P-12 students
- Develop and present professional development sessions related to literacy teaching and learning
- Play a key role in shaping local and national policy through your involvement in professional organizations and programs