Each team is expected to designate a minimum of one student to officiate each preliminary round game in which it plays. The student acting as an official earns participation credit. Semifinal and final games will be officiated by Athletic Officers or other students approved to officiate. Any rule change or adaptation must be agreed upon by official and both teams before the start of play. Official signs score sheet and returns it to the Intramural equipment cart.
No prior officiating experience is required. Training sessions will be offered for new officials on a need basis. Scheduling of officials will be based on willingness of cadets to serve in this capacity: an official may work as much or as little as desired. Students of any race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or cadet class may officiate.
Calling Games for Pay
Successfully officiating flag football and 5-on-5 basketball makes one eligible for compensation. Pay rate ranges from $7.25 to $8.00 per game and will be distributed at the end of the playing season.
- must have a basic knowledge of sport and its rules.
- must communicate regularly with the Graduate Assistant for Intramurals to arrange game assignments.
- must communicate with this supervisor if you anticipate missing an assigned game.
- must arrive at least 10 minutes before schedule start time of game.
- must not depart until game is over, score sheet is completed and equipment is returned to game cart.
- must demonstrate respect for players and other officials. must demonstrate fairness by calling games with attention and without bias.
- must work to develop conflict resolution skills such as controlling your own emotions, being appropriately assertive in your calls, communicating clearly, identifying when you might need help (e.g., from Intramural staff), and being able to forgive and forget.
The Graduate Assistant for Intramurals is direct supervisor for officials. Officials will work with Athletic Officers to oversee a safe and successful intramural program.
An ICRA staff or HESS faculty member will grade events for Sigma Delta Psi and Citadel Records Challenge.