The Citadel

The Military College of South Carolina

give online buttongive online button apply now buttonapply now button

Staying Legal

Under United States law, international students have certain responsibilities. In order to maintain proper legal status, F-1 students must comply with the United States immigration regulations. This includes keeping your passport, visa, I-20 and other official documents up to date. By failing to keep your documents up to date, you may cause unnecessary problems that may interfere with your education. As you work toward your degree at The Citadel you will be asked to comply with all of these immigration regulations. Some of these regulations can be confusing so it is important to understand how to stay in status with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Ultimately, it is your responsibility to know and understand these regulations; however, the International Student Advisor at The Citadel will be available to answer any questions you may have.

Enforcing United States immigration laws and regulations is the responsibility of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The INS District Office that has jurisdiction over international students at The Citadel is located in Atlanta, Georgia. The local INS Office is located at the following address:

Immigration and Naturalization Service 
1 Poston Road, Suite 130
Park Shore Center
Charleston, SC 29407
Phone: (843) 727-4350

Maintaining F-1 Regulations: An Overview

1. Pursue a "full course of study" at the school listed on your current valid Form I-20 during every academic session or semester except during official school breaks, unless an exception is authorized in advance by the International Student Advisor/DSO. Go to Registration, Attendance and Course load Requirements. 
2. Make normal progress towards completing your course of study before the expiration of the "program completion date" on the Form I-20 (item #5). Reinstatement to F-1 Status.
3. Keep your Form I-20 valid by following the proper procedures for: 
o Extension of stay 
o Change of major or educational level Keeping your Form I-20 Valid. 
o Transfer of schools 
4. Remain in the U.S for no longer than 60 days after completing a full course of study, unless prior to that time you have applied for practical training, change of major or educational level, or school transfer. 
5. Keep your passport valid at all times. 
6. Do not work, either on or off-campus unless authorized by the Office of International Studies and INS. Link to F-1 Student Employment. 
7. Report any change of address to the Office of International Studies and to the Registrars Office within 10 days.
8. If applicable fill out yearly income tax forms and send them to the Internal Revenue Service. 
Violation of Status could result in the cancellation of your F-1 Student Visa. If you feel that you have violated your status, see the International Student Advisor in the Office of International Studies as soon as possible to apply for reinstatement. Failure for a student to be reinstated in a timely manner may result in the student being barred from reentering the US for three to ten years.

Back to Top