Policies & Procedures - Volunteers
THE LANGUAGE USED IN THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT CREATE AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT BETWEEN THE EMPLOYEE AND THE AGENCY. THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT CREATE ANY CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS OR ENTITLEMENTS. THE AGENCY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVISE THE CONTENT OF THIS DOCUMENT, IN WHOLE OR IN PART. NO PROMISES OR ASSURANCES, WHETHER WRITTEN OR ORAL, WHICH ARE CONTRARY TO OR INCONSISTENT WITH THE TERMS OF THIS PARAGRAPH CREATE ANY CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.
A. Terms of Employment of Volunteers
- "Volunteer" shall mean any person who, of his or her own free will, provides goods or services without any financial gain.
- "Regular-service volunteer" shall mean any person engaged in specific voluntary service activities on an ongoing or continuous basis.
- "Occasional-service volunteer" shall mean any person who provides a one-time or occasional voluntary service.
B. Use of Volunteers:
Volunteers recruited, trained, or accepted by any department will, to the extent of their voluntary service, be exempt from all provisions of law relating to state employment, hours of work, rate of compensation, leave time, worker’s compensation and employee benefits. Volunteers shall comply with applicable work rules.
C. State employees may volunteer to perform services for a State agency or a political subdivision of the State if:
- The individual receives no compensation or is paid expenses, reasonable benefits, or a nominal fee to perform the services for which the individual volunteered, and
- Such services are not the same type of services that the employee is assigned as their primary assignment.
All volunteers at The Citadel must read and sign this document prior to any volunteer services at The Citadel. Click here to access the required form.