Professor, cadet honored by Charleston Engineers Joint Council
Civil and Environmental Engineering Assistant Professor Capt. Edward L. Hajduk was named the 2009 Charleston Engineer of the Year by the Charleston Engineer’s Joint Council at their annual banquet in February.
The 2009 Charleston Engineer of the Year is awarded to an engineer elected by the Charleston Engineers’ Joint Council based on their contributions to the engineering field. The Joint Council is composed of representatives from the regional professional engineering societies.
Hajduk, who has served on The Citadel faculty since 2006, received his doctorate from the University of Massachusetts-Lowell and has published several papers in his field of geotechnical engineering. He is currently the vice president of the American Society of Civil Engineers South Carolina Section (ASCE-SC) and is involved in their efforts to develop an infrastructure report card for the state. He is working to preserve the historic Morris Island Lighthouse and to establish an engineering-science education collaboration between The Citadel and Save The Light.
At the banquet Cadet Elizabeth Penn-Sanders was awarded a scholarship for her active role in the Corp of Cadets and the civil and environmental engineering department. She is currently the regimental activities officer and has held several leadership roles within student engineering organizations. She has served as president of the student chapter of Women in Science and Engineering and secretary of the student chapter of ASCE. Penn-Sanders is also working with Hajduk in the development of the ASCE-SC infrastructure report card.
The Citadel School of Engineering has ranked among the top 50 undergraduate engineering programs in the nation according to “U.S. News & World Report,” and the civil and environmental engineering department ranked as the No. 8 undergraduate specialty engineering program. The Citadel was the forerunner in engineering education in the state of South Carolina and fifth in the nation. Engineering has been a part of the college’s curriculum since its inception in 1842.