The William D. Ford Direct Loan Program provides students the opportunity to borrow money to help pay for college. These low-interest loans are available to students who would not ordinarily qualify based on their own credit history.
Because of this, Federal Regulations require that all first time borrowers complete Entrance Counseling prior to the disbursement of a Direct Student Loan. This step ensures that all students are aware of the entire borrowing process and their repayment options.
Online Entrance Interviews:
- Connect to the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling website.
- Use your federal pin and social security numbers to "Sign In" at the upper left hand corner of the screen.
- You will be directed to the main page with several options.
- Click on the first option titled, "Entrance Counseling." Undergraduate students must complete the first choice (Stafford Loans). Graduate students should complete the third choice (Combination-Stafford and PLUS Loans) in the event that you apply for a Grad PLUS loan at a later date.
- Make certain that you select "The Citadel" (listed under "T" not "C") as the school to receive your Entrance Counseling confirmation.
- Click on "Next" to move through the screens until you reach the end. Make sure you understand the tutorial information before you begin taking the quiz. A glossary is also available to get definitions.
- When you finish the quiz, enter some personal information to assure that The Citadel receives your electronic confirmation of completion.
Remember that we cannot credit the loan funds to your account until we receive your Entrance Counseling confirmation of completion.
If you have any questions about the website or the material presented, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.