SC State Certification Program (Non-Degree)
Elementary or Secondary School Administration and Supervision
The mission and goals of the Certification only programs in Educational Leadership, Elementary School Administration and Supervision and Secondary Administration and Supervision are to teach:
- Knowledge of human and public relations problems in education
- New curricular developments and trends
- Skills in practical applications of educational research
- Competence in applying principles of human and group behavior in problem situations.
- Knowledge and competencies in staff personnel administration
- Different leadership and management styles and a clear understanding and working knowledge of Learner- Centered Education.
Requirements for Admission to the South Carolina Certification Only Program:
Applicants who hold a valid SC teaching certificate and a master’s degree with a minimum 3.25 GPA in a different area of professional education but wish to add administration certification must provide the following admission materials:
- Completion of the online graduate application along with the non-refundable application fee.
- Submission of an official transcript of the baccalaureate degree and all other undergraduate or graduate work directly from each regionally accredited college or university - Bachelor’s through Master’s degree.
- Submission of official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores. MAT minimum acceptable score is a score of 396 or GRE minimum verbal and quantitative score of 290. Admission test must have been taken within the last five years. See Academic Catalog for Provisional Status information.
- A copy of a South Carolina Professional Certificate verifying three years teaching experience. At least one year of teaching at the appropriate level for Advanced Level certification for which the candidate is applying must be validated at the time of admission.
A total of 30 semester hours must be completed for the SC State Certification (Non-Degree) program. In addition to completing all courses, candidates applying for certification as an administrator must:
- Present a minimum qualifying score on the Praxis, South Carolina’s Supervision and Administration Examination, prior to enrolling in an internship.
- Present a Valid South Carolina Teaching Certificate that posts three years teaching experience including at least one year of teaching at the certification level requested.
- Complete required courses, 24 hours and two internships (EDUC 661 and EDUC 662 or EDUC 663 and EDUC 664), six hours (9-12 internship hours per week over a six-month period) for a total of 30 credit hours. Candidates for administrative internships must:
- Complete 24 credit hours prior to submitting an internship application for faculty review.
- Earn a passing score on the Praxis, South Carolina’s Supervision and Administration Examination.
- Meet with advisor to review request for admission to an internship and review degree audit.
- Apply to CGC to register for an internship
SC State Requirements for Certification at the Advanced Level
(A) Elementary or Secondary School Principal and Supervisor (Tier 1)
- Master’s degree
- Valid South Carolina Educator’s Professional Certificate at the elementary or secondary level
- Minimum qualifying score(s) on the area examinations required by the State Board of Education
- Verification of three years teaching experience, including at least one year of teaching in grades pre-K-8 for elementary, 7-12 for secondary
- Completion of an advanced program approved by the State Board of Education for the training of elementary or secondary principals and supervisors
South Carolina Regulation 43.