The Military College of South Carolina Dare to Lead

Info Academics Admissions Alumni Cadet Life Graduate College Evening Undergrad Athletics Connect Giving
Close this window

Giving to The Citadel

  • The Citadel Foundation
  • Blueprint
  • The Citadel Brigadier Foundation

Frequently Asked Questions about Form 1098-T

    1. I don't see any items in Box 2, Payments. Shouldn't you be telling me what I paid?

      The Citadel reports amounts billed to you during the tax-year for which you are filing. These amounts include the following semesters during the tax-year: Maymester, Summer, Fall, and Spring of the next year. Consult your own records for payments made during the tax-year, or check your account history in LESESNE GATEWAY.

    2. Should I report the amount listed on the 1098-T on my tax return?

      Not necessarily. You should report amounts you have paid in 2013 for qualified tuition and fees for calendar year 2013(including Spring 2014 fees billed in Nov. 2013). Consult IRS Publication 970 for more information.

    3. I moved and need another 1098-T. Can I call you and get another one?

      You will be referred to the following link for 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 duplicate information.    Due to Federal regulations concerning student privacy, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FAX INFORMATION TO YOU OR PROVIDE THE NUMBERS OVER THE PHONE.

    4. I am the students parent and I pay the bill. Why can't I get a copy of the 1098-T information?

      The Federal Education Right to Privacy Act prohibits The Citadel from providing information to anyone but the student. The student has access to LESESNE GATEWAY, which details all of the 1098-T information.

    5. What are qualified expenses?

      Tuition, registration, lab fees and computer related technology fees.

    6. What are nonqualifying expenses?

      Room, board, infirmary charges, QM charges or payments, yearbook fee, parking, activity fees, diploma fee, late registration fees, admission fees, athletic department, library fines and room damage.

    7. What do I do if I don't get a 1098-T form?

      1098-T forms will be sent to the student's permanent home address as listed on Lesesne Gateway. Please be sure the student's permanent home address is correct in gateway.  In addition, a copy for your records for years 2010 and prior may be printed from Vangent. To get a duplicate official copy, contact our third-party administrator Vangent.   To print a duplicate official copy of your 2011, 2012, 2013 or 2014  1098-T form, follow this link