Frequently Asked Questions about Form 1098-T
- I don't see any items in Box 2, Payments. Shouldn't you be telling me what I paid?
The Citadel reports amounts billed to you during the tax-year for which you are filing. These amounts include the following semesters during the tax-year: Maymester, Summer, Fall, and Spring of the next year. Consult your own records for payments made during the tax-year, or check your account history in LESESNE GATEWAY.
- Should I report the amount listed on the 1098-T on my tax return?
Consult IRS Publication 970 for more information.
- I moved and need another 1098-T. Can I call you and get another one? For additional official copies of the 2017 1098T follow this link https://heartland.ecsi.net/ You will need the student's First Name, Last Name, Social Security Number and Zip Code. Due to Federal regulations concering student privacy, we will not be able to email or fax information to you or provide the numbers over the phone.
- I am the students parent and I pay the bill. Why can't I get a copy of the 1098-T information?
The Federal Education Right to Privacy Act prohibits The Citadel from providing information to anyone but the student. The student has access to LESESNE GATEWAY, which details all of the 1098-T information.
- What are qualified expenses?
Tuition, registration, academic lab fees, computer technology fees, leadership fees, Business Program Fees, Engineering Program Fees, and Nursing Program Fees.
- What are nonqualifying expenses?
Room, board, infirmary charges, One Card, yearbook fee, parking, activity fees, diploma fee, late registration fees, admission fees, athletic department, library fines and room damage.
- What do I do if I don't get a 1098-T form?
1098-T forms will be sent to the student's permanent home address as listed on Lesesne Gateway. Please be sure the student's permanent home address is correct in the gateway.
In addition, a copy for your records for years 2010 and prior may be printed from Vangent. To get a duplicate official copy, contact our third-party administrator Vangent.
To request a duplicate copy of the 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014 1098-T form, contact the Treasurer's Office at email@example.com. Due to Federal regulations concering student privacy, we will not be able to email or fax information to you or provide the numbers over the phone. Replacement 1098-T forms will be mailed to the student's home address on file.
For additional official copies of the 2017 1098-T form, please follow this link: https://heartland.ecsi.net/ You will need the student's first name, last name, social security number and zip code.