Leaders 101, the Freshman Orientation Program:
The Citadel requires that all incoming freshmen take a one-credit-hour college orientation course designed to help them make the transition from high school to college. Known officially as LDRS 101, but more informally as “Leaders 101,” this course teaches our freshmen proven techniques for successful studying and learning!
· Practical instruction on the steps to academic success.
· Information that they can understand, that they can use quickly, and that works
· Help when they discover that the strategies they used for studying in high school don't seem to work as well in college
The Leaders 101 class consists of four major parts:
1. Permanent Skills: Setting Goals, Controlling Your Time, Staying Focused, and Managing Stress
2. Enrichment Skills: Improving Your Reading and Thinking.
3. Note-Taking Skills: Taking/ Mastering Effective Notes.
4. Test-Taking Skills: Managing Test Anxiety & Answering Objective/Essay Tests
Attend Fine Arts Performances,
- Learn how to use the Library, about Career Services, about the Honor Court, and in short, about all the resources available at The Citadel!
- Understand policies and procedures: cadet officers and professors explain rules/regulations of the College to the freshmen as well as answer questions in a discussion format.
In short, this class helps all freshmen adjust to the academic, emotional, and personal challenges of college life at The Citadel.
First-Year Student Transitions Questionnaire Version 1, http://www.citadel.edu/root/transition-questionnaire
First-Year Student Transitions Questionnaire Version 2, http://www.citadel.edu/root/transition-questionnaire2
To view additional information concerning the details of the class, please visit the following links:
Career Services: http://www3.citadel.edu/career_services/
Last Lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo;
Leadership and Motivational Video Clips for LDRS 101: video_clips_for_citadel_101.pdf
Summer Reading Program: A Few Good Men by Aaron Sorkin
Task Stream Instructions: Task Stream Login
All freshman cadets will attend two (2) fine arts performances in their freshman year.