Dining and Catering Services
New initiatives are underway in the mess hall! Aramark, the company which holds the college’s contract for catering and dining services, is committed to promoting sustainability.
New sustainability initiatives in catering
• Recyclable plates and utensils from compressed leaves are being used.
• Styrofoam has been completely eliminated, and the recycling bins are taken to every event.
• Most products are purchased locally.
Along with The Citadel’s green catering abilities, the campus offers some catering events that are 100 percent green, and drastic changes have been made in Coward Hall where cadets dine.
Sustainability initiatives in Coward Hall
• Smaller delivery trucks, which use less gas, are being used.
• When available, produce, seafood and dairy are purchased locally.
• Dining trays have been eliminated, saving up to 500 gallons of water a night.
• Approximately 10,000 gallons of cooking oil is recycled a year.
• A new dishwasher that uses a third less electricity and water has been installed, with plans for another energy and water saving unit coming soon.
Aramark, which has been at The Citadel for about 36 years, has been green for about six years.