Approved Club Sport Activities
A hint about using forms referenced here: download and save forms to your own computer. You will be able to open, complete, edit, save and send forms on and from your own computer.
An Activity Approval Form is required for all team activities except for practices or meetings that do not interfere with cadet obligations per the Cadet Training Schedule. The request form is available here, in the team's Google Drive and in the Club Sport Office. Members who are not in good-standing with Club Sports will not be included on Special Orders. Good-standing, in general, means that a completed Player Packet is on file, and dues are paid. It is responsibility of team captains to make sure that players requested for orders are in good-standing. It is responsibility of individual players to review and abide by published Special Orders.
Attendance of a faculty or staff advisor, coach or team volunteer is required for most competitions and for all overnight trips. It is the responsibility of team captains to ensure that all advisors, coaches and team volunteers have completed and submitted a Coaching Packet.
Submission of the Activity Approval Form plus player requirements must be met by 1200 on Mondays before the event. Events will be cancelled for teams who miss this deadline. Players who miss the deadline to get in good-standing will not be added to event orders. They may be added for subsequent events.
Request for Competition and Travel Arrangements
Many teams are affliated with organizations that have their own policy and procedures for requesting game officials and sports medicine coverage. Team Leadership and the Office of Club Sports will work together to make sure that field space is reserved and prepared, entry fees are paid when due, and officials and sports medicine are scheduled.
It is the responsibiity of Team Leadership to initiate requests for transportation and hotel reservations. Use the Activity Approval Form to describe travel and special order needs.
Use the Hotel Worksheet to describe team needs that will keep a trip at or under budget. This worksheet should be submitted at least 14 days before the trip. Funds to cover cost must be in team index before a reservation will be confirmed. Shop for the best price via the internet, calling a hotel directly, or communicating with hotel chain group sales, but remember that you are not authorized to make a reservation, or negotiate or sign a contract on behalf of The Citadel. Any attempt to bind the college, or teammates, coaches or advisors to a financial obligation may be subject to legal and disciplinary action.
Citadel Club Sports encourages the use of Citadel Motor Pool vans or cars. It is the responsibility of Team Leadership to intitiate a request for transportation via the Activity Approval Form. This form, indicating names of drivers, must be submittted by 1200 on Mondays before the event. When completing this form, take into account that:
- travel should not require driving between the hours of 2400 and 0600, and that
- all drivers of 11-passenger vans must have successfully completed a van driver's safety course approved by the college. Details of the 11-passenger van policy are available here. Contact SFC Kenneth Greene to schedule a van driver's safety course.
If the activity is approved and funds are available, described vehicle(s) will be requested from the Citadel Motor Pool. Confirmation of reservation will be available to Team Leadership via the team's Google drive.
Vehicle pick-up is available 0730 - 1130 and 1230 - 1430, Monday through Friday from the Citadel Motor Pool, located in the Physical Plant area. Drivers must present a current driver license at pick-up.
The driver will be required to sign a statement that they have read and understand the applicable rules and policies related to the use of a Citadel or State owned vehicle. Details for use of, and "in the event of" help can be found in the notebook which accompanies each vehicle.
Club Sport travel is a privilege that may be revoked for the entire team because of unsafe or unauthorized use of a vehicle. Drivers will:
- have safe driving records
- ensure vehicles are used only for activities described in the Activity Approval Form
- obey all traffic laws, including those that govern speed
- refrain from using handheld electronic devices (e.g., cell phones)
- enforce the South Carolina law requiring use of safety belts for the driver and all passengers
- prohibit use of tobacco products in vehicles
- prohibit the transport or use of alcohol or other drugs in vehicles
- secure vehicles when unattended
- sign for vehicles upon dispatch, and return completed trip log and keys at trip's end
- return vehicles and keys to the Physical Plant area at the scheduled time
- return vehicles cleaner than they were at pick-up
- return vehicles with a full tank of gas
- appropriately use State Credit Card provided at pick-up, for example,
- Cards are to be used for only assigned vehicles.
- Although State Credit Cards should be honored by Texaco, Amoco, Shell, Union, Gulf/BP, Unocal, Phillips, American Petrofina and Exxon, check with the attendant to ensure acceptance before making a purchase.
- Credit cards are valid for the purchase of regular unleaded gasoline only.
- complete a South Carolina Traffic Collision Report Form in the event of an accident, regardless of the extent of damage, and return it with the trip log or bring it to the Citadel Dispatcher at 0700 on the Monday following trip
The cost of vehicle rental and gas will be charged to the team account. The cost of repair due to negligence or abuse will be charged to team account and may be passed on to driver.
Drivers and passengers traveling in personal vehicles understand they do so at their own risk. Drivers assume responsibility for the safety of those traveling in their vehicle. The Citadel is not liable for costs as a result of an accident, including injury and property damage. Therefore, both the driver and owner of the vehicle should understand that taking personal vehicles exposes him/her to personal liability as a result of an accident.
Should a team decide to use personal vehicles for a trip, this intention, including names of drivers, must be indicated on the Activity Approval Form. With approval of Team Leadership, drivers may be reimbursed for the cost of gasoline. Drivers should make this request through Team Leadership.
Club Sport travel remains a privilege that can be revoked regardless of the method of transportation.
Use the Charter Bus Worksheet to describe team needs that will keep a trip at or under budget. This worksheet should be submitted at least 28 days before the trip. Funds to cover cost must be in team index before a reservation will be confirmed. Shop for the best price via the internet or calling a bus company directly, but remember that you are not authorized to make a reservation, or negotiate or sign a contract on behalf of The Citadel. Any attempt to bind the college, or teammates, coaches or advisors to a financial obligation may be subject to legal and disciplinary action.