Each year biology students who have conducted research present their work at The Citadel Student Research Conference (CSRC).
2014 CSRC Poster Presentation Winners from the Biology Department:
- Cadets Erik Usher and Johnathan Overcash won first place in the undergraduate category for their poster titled “Wetland Assessment: An Ecological Analysis of the Faircloth Property on the Black River”. (Mentor, Dr. Joel Gramling)
- Austin Gray won first place in the graduate student category for his poster on “Characterizing the Sensitivity of Daphnia magna to Green Home and Personal Care Products: Linking Product Formulation to Hazard”. (Mentor, Dr. John Weinsein)
Other Outstanding CSRC Biology Presentations in 2014:
- "A Long-Term Study of Cortisol as a Biomarker for Chronic and Acute Stressors" by Charles Fyfe and Eric Benfield. (Mentor, Dr. Kristy Johnson)
- "The Hunt for Histone H3: Evidence that Histone H3 is Targeted to the Mitochondria and Related to Apoptosis in Bos and Drosophila" by Joaquin Marquez and Blake Holt. (Mentor, Dr. Kathy Zanin)
- "Analysis of Antibiotic Resistance Profile of Environmental E. Coli Strains to Determine Animal or Human Origin" by Mariana Garcia Torres. (Mentor, Dr. Claudia Rocha)