The Pre-Health Society:
The Pre-Health Society is a club for all students who are interested in Health-Related Professions. Meeting notifications available through "The Citadel Biology Department" Facebook Page. "Like" the page to get meeting notices via your Facebook newsfeed. The club advisor is Dr. Kathy Zanin. More Pre-Health Information is published on the Pre-Health Information Page.
Like Us on Facebook: "Pre-Health Society - The Citadel - CC"
2015-2016 Meetings (unless specified otherwise (*), all meetings are held at noon in Duckett 101)
- September 11- Intro and timeline for applications
- September 23 – *Bond 322* 4 PM* - VCOM School of Osteopathic Medicine
- October 2 – Cadets for a Cure Service Project Planning
- November 13- USC School of Medicine, Dr. Tom Blackwell
- November 16 - Tobacco Prevention Team meeting
- Novemeber 18 - MCAT prep information from Exam Krackers *4PM* & Cadets for a Cure Check presentation to Hollings Cancer Center - we raised $3,500 and got a private donation from Scalise Realty for $5000, for a grand total of $8,500!
- December 4- Pre-Dental Day
- January 15- Military Scholarships (HPSP), Cpt. Teschner
- February 12- MUSC College of Health Professions, everything other than medical or dental school
- March 11- Campbell School of Osteopathic Medicine
- April 8- New Officer Elections
- Calendar of Pre-Health Events occurring nationwide
Video recordings of the discussion panels on “Ethics in Healthcare and Medical Research” from March 12, 2015. If you have any trouble opening the links, the videos only run properly if you use a computer (not a cell phone) to view them, and you also might need to set "Windows Media Player" as the default media player for your computer. (This setting may be changed in the Control Panel area of your computer; under Programs, Default Program Settings). Macintosh computer users may need this free download: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-media-components-quicktime Macintosh users may also need to use the Firefox web browser: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ Mac users may also have to change “system preferences” to allow your computer to begin videos automatically. Here are the links:
- Part One (pre intermission): http://mediasite.nation.citadel.edu/Mediasite/Play/555d78cf569d4454a2653c1cb046359d1d
- Part Two (post intermission): http://mediasite.nation.citadel.edu/Mediasite/Play/da8f5be743c34adda4e3596e0928c2f21d
Alumni Share Secrets of Success - video from 2014
For Facebook updates about meetings, current events, and opportunities in the Biology Department, Like the Facebook page, "The Citadel Biology Department"
For more information about applying to graduate schools in health related fields, please see the Pre-Health Page and visit the bulletin board across from Bond 317.
Last year, Pre-Health Society Vice President Matt Scalise started a campaign called “Cadets for a Cure” to raise money and campus awareness of breast cancer, and our club donated more than id="mce_marker"000 to patients at MUSC’s Hollings Cancer Center. This year as the club’s President, he led our members in a campaign that was even was bigger and better. He procured a private donation of $5,000 from Scalise Realty along with t-shirt donations; and he led a campaign that inspired nearly 70 Citadel students to volunteer at the Komen Race for a Cure on Daniel Island on October 17; also, through a dinner at Fuel restaurant, raffle ticket and t-shirt sales and sponsoring knob movie night, club members raised an additional $3,500 to donate.
The Pre-Health Society will officially present the $8,500 to Hollings Cancer Center on Wednesday, November 18 at 4:45 PM in Duckett Hall 101. We will also recognize a business called Exam Krackers that donated a set of MCAT prep books as a prize for the cadet who sold the most raffle tickets – a prize that really motivated students to sell more apple watch raffle tickets.
A representative from MUSC Hollings Cancer Center will accept the check and will tell the audience more about how the donation will help cancer patients who are in financial need. Many members of the Pre-Health Society will be there, and everyone in the Citadel community is invited to attend.
- All money raised will be presented to Hollings Cancer Center’s Fundraising Coordinator, Mrs. Kiki Cooper, via a large check
In October 2014 The Pre-Health Society established "Cadets for a Cure." We worked to raise cancer awareness and to raise funds for Patient Support Services at Hollings Cancer Center through ribbon and wrist band sales. Cadet Matt Scalise was the founder of this campaign. We raised more than $1,000. A check was presented to Kiki Cooper of MUSC's Giving Office on Dec. 5, 2014.
In September 2014, a panel of distinguished alumni hosted "Meet the Experts" where students learned about various medical and dental specialties.
In February 2014, The Pre-Health Society Hosted a panel of alumni who shared the "Secrets of their Success" with students at The Citadel.
On October 24, 2012 The Pre-Health Society and BioCid co-hosted a Low Country Shrimp Boil Fundraiser that raised $650 to support Wounded Nature (an organization that employs veterans to clean up beaches and increase environmental awareness). Students worked all day selling tickets, shopping, chopping, cooking, serving, and cleaning up; making the event a huge success.