Virtual Tour - Athletic Facilities
College Park was leased from the City of Charleston in 1966 and served as home to The Citadel baseball team for over a quarter century, until the opening of Riley Park in 1997. College Park now serves The Citadel as a multi-purpose athletic facility. It is located a few blocks away on Rutledge Avenue at the entrance to Hampton Park.
Named for Brig. Gen. Johnson Hagood, Citadel class of 1847, who was chairman of the Board of Visitors from 1877 to 1898, the stadium is currently in the midst of a major revitalization project. Originally built in 1948, the new stadium will have a capacity of 18,000 and will feature box club seats and a dozen or so luxury suites on the west (home) side.
The west side of the stadium will also become home to a new S.C. National Guard Readiness Center. The facility will house the 218 Infantry Brigade (Mechanized) and become an emergency operations center during hurricanes or floods. Both the college and the S.C. National Guard will share classrooms and conference rooms.
The first phase in the stadium revitalization project, the Altman Athletic Center, opened in the fall of 2001. At a cost of nearly $3 million, the facility is located in the south end zone and boasts home and visitors' locker rooms, officials' rooms and an entertainment area for The Citadel Brigadier Foundation. It was named for the late Bill Altman, a 1931 graduate and an avid sports fan who supported athletic scholarships and who was a life-time member of The Citadel Alumni Association. The Altman family generously contributed $1 million to the cost of the building.
Also completed is the installation of the Daktronics scoreboard-the largest scoreboard in the state of South Carolina. It features a huge videoboard that can display replays, live action and more. The scoreboard is the width of the field's playing surface and includes a state-of-the-art sound system.
McAlister Field House, originally constructed in 1939, contains the offices of the athletic director and staff. Formerly The Citadel Armory, it was named for Colonel David S. McAlister, Citadel 1924, on March 16, 1973. Its three basketball courts and seating for approximately 6,000 provide facilities for The Citadel's basketball program. Major renovations, completed during the summer of 1989, make this facility a showcase for Citadel basketball and other campus events.
Riley Park, affectionately called "The Joe", is a 6,000 seat state-of-the-art facility named for the Honorable Joseph P. Riley, Jr., Citadel 1964, Mayor of Charleston. The state-of-the-art baseball facility opened in April 1997 at a cost of $19.5 million. The Citadel plays all of its baseball games in the park, located just off the campus overlooking the Ashley River. The Citadel shares the facility with the Charleston Riverdogs Minor League Baseball Team.
Seignious Hall was dedicated in 1982. It is named for Lt. Gen. George M. Seignious II, Citadel 1942, who served as president of the college from 1974-1979. Housed in the modern structure are offices for the football coaching staff, weight-lifting and workout equipment, conference rooms, hydrotherapy and other sport medicine equipment, and a team meeting room. Offices for the trainer, his assistant, and a doctor are contiguous to the sports medicine areas.
Vandiver Hall was dedicated in 1991. It is named for Col. Thomas C. "Nap" Vandiver, Citadel 1929, and Vice Chairman Emeritus of the Board of Visitors of The Citadel. Col. Vandiver served on the Board of Visitors for 33 years and received an honorary Doctor of Law degree in 1979, followed by the Palmetto Award in 1986. The building is situated between Seignious Hall and the McAlister Field House. The first floor provides dressing rooms for the soccer, wrestling, track/cross country, and golf teams of The Citadel as well as offices for coaches of the various teams. Also on the first floor are shower facilities, locker rooms for visiting teams, and a conference room. The second floor holds a wrestling practice area, a golf practice area, and a batting area for the baseball team.