Army ROTC cadet from The Citadel is ranked #6 in the nation
FORT KNOX, Ky.– Each Fall, in conjunction with their branch selections, Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) cadets from around the country are ranked in a national Order of Merit List (OML).
The OML ranks all Army ROTC seniors across the nation, scheduled to graduate and becommissioned in Spring 2014. This year Lewis K. Dunaway, an Army ROTC cadet fromThe Citadel, learned he had captured the number six spot in the prestigious top 10, outof 5,478 graduating cadets. A Charlotte, N.C. native, Dunaway is scheduled to graduate this Spring with a degree in Political Science, with a Pre-law subfield, and minors in Spanish and Business. He will be commissioned as a second lieutenant of Infantry.
Dunaway was a four-year lacrosse player and helped his team win a state championship their senior year. He also earned the rank of Eagle Scout while juggling sports and academics.
At The Citadel, he has stayed actively involved in intramural sports competitions between companies, and is a fitness enthusiast. Dunaway has had held a wide range of leadership positions in the Corps of Cadets. He was Clerk (the highest position a sophomore can hold) and Squad Corporal his sophomore year, Cadre Squad Sergeant and Cadre Platoon Sergeant his junior year, and Academic Officer and Company Honor Representative as a senior. In addition, he serves as the Battalion Executive Officer for The Citadel’s Army ROTC Battalion.
Dunaway is also a member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society and the Summerall Guards, the Citadel’s elite silent drill platoon.
When asked for his impressions on his accomplishments, Dunaway responded with his favorite quote, by Winston Churchill: “To every man there comes … that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent. What a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”
Dunaway is a 2010 graduate of Myers Park High School in Charlotte, N.C. He is the son of Rush and Joyee Dunaway of Charlotte.
This year the top 10 cadets are:
1. Ricky W. Leslie from Columbus State University, Columbus, Ga.
2. Tyler A. Smotherman from the University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho.
3. Claire L. Yakabe from the University of Hawaii-Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii.
4. Matthew S. Mischo from the Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colo.
5. Felix R. Lopezalmeyda from the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez, Mayaguez, P.R.
6. Lewis K. Dunaway from The Citadel, Charleston, S.C.
7. Alexander S. Coslow from Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo.
8. Kevin T. Filip from Loyola University, Chicago, Ill.
9. Amalia I. Osborne from North Carolina State University, Raleigh, N.C.
10. Elizabeth J. Bradt from Spring Arbor University, Spring Arbor, Mich.
U.S. Army Cadet Command
204 1st Cavalry Regiment Road
Fort Knox, Ky. 40121
Phone: (502) 624-3450