Please visit our Parent Page, http://www.citadel.edu/root/parentsmain, to learn more about The Citadel's policies, procedures, and schedules.
We are pleased to welcome your son or daughter as a new student entering our ranks this fall, and we want to assure you that we are committed to helping your freshman achieve academic and personal success.
We realize that you have so many things to remember, but we want to alert you to several important dates in the Academic Calendar. We realize that many of these procedures will be new to you and your cadet, so we thought that it might be helpful to highlight the Furlough/Leave policies:
· Thanksgiving Break: Extended Leave begins for all cadets after their last class on Friday, 22 November 2013, and extends until 1930 (7:30 p.m.) on Sunday, 1 December 2013. For example, our Thanksgiving Extended Leave begins after your cadet’s last class on Friday, November 22nd which means that it is extremely likely that your cadet will be in class until at least 12:00 noon that day, while some students may be in class until 2:50 that afternoon. For this reason, please do NOT purchase a plane ticket for a flight that departs the Charleston Airport any time on Friday morning or earlier. We want all of our students to have a full week of classroom instruction before they enjoy a full holiday week with their families.
· Winter Furlough: Winter Furlough begins for all cadets after the cadet’s last scheduled exam in accordance with the published Citadel Final Examination Policy and no later than Wednesday, 18 December 2013, and extends until 1930 (7:30 p.m.) on Sunday, 12 January 2014.
· Spring Break: Extended Leave begins for all cadets after their last class on Friday, 21 March 2014, and extends until 1930 (7:30 p.m.) on Sunday, 30 March 2014.
· Summer Furlough: Summer Furlough begins when all cadets have completed their last scheduled exam in accordance with the published Citadel Final Examination Policy and when all cadets have completed all Corps of Cadet responsibilities as defined by the Office of the Commandant. For most cadets, they will be able to leave at 0700 (7:00 a.m.) on Saturday morning, May 10, 2014.
We appreciate your not putting yourselves or us in an awkward position by asking us to release your cadet early on any day that a Furlough or Extended Leave begins because of a morning flight, train, or bus because we will NOT be able to accommodate that request. That’s why we’re giving you our calendar information* so far ahead of time
Once again, we are excited to welcome you and your cadet into the Citadel family and appreciate your working with us on the timing of Extended Leaves and Furloughs.
Mark A. Bebensee, Ph.D., Associate Provost for Academic Affairs
To view the Academic Calendar: http://www.citadel.edu/root/aa-calendar
To view the parade schedules for the Corps of Cadets:
Citadel Family Association:
Since its inception in 1993, The Citadel Family Association (CFA) has been dedicated to three main goals:
1. To provide information to, and support for, the families of current cadets;
2. To provide families with a forum for discussion of common interests; and
3. To support college initiatives.
For more information concerning the CFA, please visit http://www.citadel.edu/cfa/
Citadel Sponsor Program:
The Citadel Fourth-Class Sponsor Program, under the direction of the Department of Cadet Activities, provides out-of-state freshmen with a caring "home away from home" during the difficult first year and often, subsequent years at The Citadel. These sponsors, Citadel staff, faculty, local alumni, and interested individuals from the local community, provide a place where cadets can relax, watch TV, and have a home-cooked meal. For additional information about this program, please call Cadet Activities at 843.953.5111 or visit their Web site
Freshman orientation program, Cit 101
Health insurance: medical_insurance_information.pdf
New Cadet Information: New Cadet Information
Virtual Tour of campus: http://www.citadel.edu/main/about/campusguide/virtualtour.html
Sophomore Leadership Course: http://www.citadel.edu/krause-center/academic-programs.html
Rising Senior Information: Ring Qualifications
Graduation Requirements: graduation_ring_and_commencement_requirements.pdf