SEWE Artist Lecture: Ryan Kirby
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
6:45 - 8:00 pm
Bond Hall Auditorium, The Citadel
Free and open to the public
Join the Southeastern Wildlife Expo and Fine Art at The Citadel for a special preview of SEWE artist Ryan Kirby.
Ryan Kirby Artist Bio
Most men grown up and choose a craft…and some men…a special few…are chosen by a craft long before they are grown.
Like a hammer to a carpenter or ball to an athlete, from the time Ryan Kirby first picked up a paintbrush, there was no question what his craft would be. Kirby was born an artist. And once old enough to venture deep into the woods of the family farm, his subject quickly became wild things.
Wild sunsets. Wild rivers. Wild animals.
It takes a trained eye to recreate the way sunlight bounces off a deer antler, or to perfectly place a thousand feathers as a tom turkey lunges forward into a thunderous gobble. For Kirby, the training takes place on his hunting adventures – each morning in the field used as a time to watch, listen and learn.
From the wilds of Alaska, to the Rocky Mountains, to the Heartland of his home state of Illinois, Kirby has traveled far and wide to see fur, feathers, trees and water differently than the rest of us…and the same. The same adrenaline that’s pulsed through the veins of hunters for generations is what makes Kirby tick. Only his purpose for being there is a different. He is an artist - charged by God to preserve on canvas His wild places and wild things.
There’s a spiritual connection between the brush, the animal and the scene. Through Kirby’s hand, moments in time are captured forever – to be relived by those who gaze upon the canvas.
Maybe you’ve been here before. Or maybe you long to see these sights and sounds for yourself. Either way, Ryan Kirby’s art is painted for you.
Ryan’s awards and exhibitions include:
- 2016 National Wild Turkey Federation's Banquet Art Package
- 2016 National Wild Turkey Federation's Stamp Print Artist of the Year
- 2016 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition Artist
- 2015 Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation's Premiere Art Program
- 2015 National Wild Turkey Federation's Banquet Art Package
- 2015 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition Artist
- Cover Artist for March 2015 issue of Fur-Fish-Game Magazine
- Cover Artist for October 2014 issue of Outdoor Life Magazine
- 2014 Quality Deer Management Association's Artist of the Year
- 2014 National Wild Turkey Federation's Banquet Art Package
- 2014 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition Artist
- 2013 Quality Deer Management Association's Artist of the Year
- 2013 Quality Deer Management Association's Banquet Art Package
- Exhibitions at the 2012 and 2013 NWTF National Convention in Nashville, TN
- 2010 National Wild Turkey Federation's Stamp Print Artist of the Year