REPORT ON THE COMMITTEE ON THE EVALUATION OF INSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES—AY 2010-2011
The Faculty Council charter requires the Chair of The Evaluation of Instruction to submit an annual report, summarizing the activities of the committee. The Evaluation of Instruction Committee met two times during the academic year. A summary of the proceedings of these two meetings are presented below.
Committee on the Evaluation of Instruction (AY 2010-2011)
Thursday, 02 December 2010
Deas Hall, Room 224
1. Meeting was called to order at 11:05 a.m. Committee members introduced themselves to each other. The 2010-2011 Evaluation of Instruction Committee Members are Phil Bogle, Ronald Hayne, William Sharbrough, Mike Politano, Kathleen Turner, and Mary Lou Yeatts.
2. Copies of The Evaluation of Instruction Committee Charter were circulated to each committee member, and the Mission Statement from the Charter was reviewed:
a. “ The primary charges of The Committee on the Evaluation of Instruction will be:
1. to keep informed of important trends and commentary upon the evaluation of instruction;
2. to maintain an ongoing sense of how this work is being done at other colleges and universities nationwide; and
3. to oversee the implementation of the best and most suitable practices at The Citadel.
b. The committee will be responsible for the regular review of content and procedures of evaluation; it will prompt the regular publication of departmental and college-wide norms and address other important considerations as it identifies those needs.
3. Additional activities required of the committee and indentified in the Charter were also discussed:
a. Election of a Chair
i. “… The chair is responsible for scheduling and presiding over committee meetings, representing the committee before outside bodies, and producing an annual report of committee activities.”
i. “ The committee must meet at least twice during the academic year, once in the fall and once in the spring. ”…
c. Annual Report
i. “ The Committee on the Evaluation of Instruction will prepare an annual report summarizing its activities over the previous academic year. The report must include all decisions of the committee, excluding confidential matters. Copies of this report will be made accessible to all Citadel faculty, staff, and students. ”
4. Committee members also were instructed to review the addition information in the Charter under sections III-IV.
5. The committee elected Phil Bogle and Mary Lou Yeatts as Co-Chairs of the 2010-2011 Evaluation of Instruction Committee by unanimous consent.
6. It was decided by consent of the committee that the newly elected Co-Chairs would pursue the completion of the 2010-2011 annual report with the assistance of the entire committee.
7. Additional Discussion and Decision of the Committee were the following:
a. Phil Bogle would invite Tara McNeely to present at the next meeting regarding Student Evaluation Data of Instruction collected by The Citadel.
b. Committee members discussed the student evaluation data ranking methods used by The Citadel.
8. February 03, 2011, 11-12:00 p.m., 224 Deas Hall, was scheduled as the next meeting of The Evaluation of Instruction Committee.
9. Meeting Adjournment at 12:00 p.m.
Thursday, 10 February 2011
Deas Hall, Room 224
1. Meeting was called to order at 11:05 a.m. Committee members introduced themselves to Tara McNealy and Lisa Pace, who presented at the meeting. The Evaluation of Instruction Committee Members present were Phil Bogle, Ronald Hayne, William Sharbrough (excused), Mike Politano, Kathleen Turner, and Mary Lou Yeatts.
2. Presentation by Tara McNealy and Lisa Pace addressed the following data / issues in the Faculty Teaching Evaluation format used at The Citadel:
a. Current data collection is in scantron format,
b. Expressed the need for new software, and how the collection/analysis of data has evolved at The Citadel.
c. The current software and analysis has origins from Purdue University circa 1994.
d. There have been no real changes (10 years) in the survey form used to collect teaching evaluation data.
e. Discussion was held on how collection forms may be customized, and how the use of open ended questions might be utilized
f. Discussion of future options included the possible advantages of online surveys and how a new system will benefit the faculty and provide students with a greater opportunity to evaluate their instructors.
3. Approval of Minutes from 02 December 2010 meeting – consent.
4. Meeting Adjourned.