The Math Placement Exam will open on Monday, June 2, 2014.
Student Mathematic Requirements:
- If Your Major is Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry (B.S.), Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or if you are in a scholarship program that requires Math 131: You MUST take a calculus sequence starting with MATH 131 (Analytic Geometry and Calculus I) and the Mathematics Placement Exam.
- If You Are Considering the pursuit of a Minor in Applied Mathematics or if you are attending The Citadel on a Navy scholarship, you may ELECT to take MATH 131. If you ELECT to take MATH 131, then you MUST take the Mathematics Placement Exam.
- If you do not need to take MATH 131 (students who select majors other than those listed above) or if you wish to take MATH 119, Pre-Calculus, before taking MATH 131 in the fall, then you DO NOT need to take the Mathematics Placement Exam.
Other Exceptions to taking the MPE:
- A student who already has transfer credit for Math 119 (Pre-Calculus).
- A student who has transfer or Advanced Placement credit for Math 131 (Calculus and Analytic Geometry I) but decides to repeat Math 131.
- Many students entering college for the first time are not sufficiently prepared for the rigors of freshman Calculus.
- These students need to take a semester of Pre-Calculus, MATH 119 (Pre-Calculus) before attempting MATH 131.
- In order to determine the appropriate course for entering freshmen, the placement process is based primarily on the Mathematics Placement Exam (MPE), which covers the basics of Algebra and Trigonometry.
- If you fall into any of the categories listed above, you are required to take the MPE online before August 1, 2014, otherwise, you will be placed in MATH 119 (Precalculus).
Test Format and Administration:
You will have 50 Minutes for 32 Multiple-Choice Basic Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and Trigonometry questions in CitLearn. Please remember that you can take the MPE only ONCE.
The Exam will be scored using CitLearn Assessment software, and each question will earn a value of 1 point.
You MUST NOT use a calculator, any textbooks, or the Internet for this Exam.
Read the instructions BEFORE you begin.
After completing the Exam, be sure to SAVE your answers before submitting the Exam for scoring.
Upon completion of the MPE Exam, you will see your results by using My Grades in CitLearn
In addition to the materials below, you will also find a sample test in CitLearn.
Sample MPE, Review Notes, Practice Problems with Solutions
Frequently Asked Questions about the Mathematics Placement Exam:
How Do I Login to CitLearn? Review the CitLearn Information page.
- Departmental Contact:
or (843) 953-7882
- Math Placement Exam (MPE) Contact:
Dr. Mei-Qin Chen
Department: Math & Computer Science
Office phone: (843) 953-7882
Fax: (843) 953-7391
Campus address: Thompson Hall - Room 230
Technical Problems: Review the information on the CitLearn Information page.